I’m a celebration and play expert who believes that sprinkles, pom-poms, pipe cleaners and wiggle eyes make the world a brighter place. I began on the web in 1999 as the original founder of AmazingMoms.com (now a Disney property). I was blogging before blogging was cool, and now I’m playing at KidsParties123!
As a busy mother, wife, auntie, nana and “mompreneur” I’ve made it my mission to help busy families celebrate the special moments in their lives. Whether it’s a birthday, holiday or a quiet Saturday, I believe these are magical moments that become life-long memories. This site is here to create a community that inspires and encourages parents to celebrate special days without the expectation of perfection — we do NOT live in a magazine.
Besides the expertise I’ve gained as a mother, my background is in music, art and early childhood education. Not only have I shared my ideas on AmazingMoms.com and here on KidsParties123, but you’ll also find me on The Ganz Parent Club, Family Corner Kaboose, Baby Zone, PBS Sprouts and Woman’s World Magazine.
While the above is all true, it reads a little dry and doesn’t tell you much about me. And it only seems fair, if I’m going to ask you to submit your parties and creative ideas, that I should share little more about myself. So here I am in a nutshell… actually a list that has no rhyme or reason!
- Planned my 1st of many sleepover parties in the 6th grade and still have friends that talk about it. If I recall, it included finding gross things from the refrigerator and making my friends close their eyes and stick their hands inside bowls of creepy objects — ewww… what was I thinking?
- I still think what kids “do” at a party is far more important than fancy decorations and other expensive items (so be kind to yourself and your budget).
- At 18 years old I moved 3,000 miles away from home to be a “Rockstar” – 15 years later I was singing children’s songs while wearing a red tutu, rainbow hat, a sparkly nose and answering to the name “Bubbles”.
- During the “Bubbles period”, I was also Mrs. Claus and “Princess Evermore” entertaining children in the Pacific Northwest. I’m sure my kids will one day be discussing this with a therapist.
- As a teenager I was wildly boy crazy and never thought I could date the same boy for one month. So it comes as yet another surprise that I’ve been married for 26 years. I’m not easy to be married to (I think it’s my creative side) and I’m so glad he puts up with me.
- My businesses are fueled by caffeine and creativity. I work in a small, but efficient office/creative space that has never looked as good as it did the first four days.
- I’ve been known to lose my temper, slam doors, cry, be overbearing and embarrassing…but my heart explodes with love for my kids!
- Over the years I’ve been inspired by my own four kids and now my grandchildren, nieces and nephews whom I love BIG, BIG, BIG!
- My favorite children’s book character is Eloise (pre-movie and marketing), she has spunk!
- I’m really not that crafty but I love to create and can usually make something easier and cheaper for “craft challenged” folks.
- I am NOT a party stylist or photographer– they are fabulous, but that is just not me.
- I have six sisters – yes, my dad had seven daughters and no sons!
- Thinking I was going to be a rock star, I studied voice instead of typing, which makes blogging a bit tedious. I usually dish out some awesome typos – feel free to point them out!
- I’m addicted to buying domain names.
- Apparently I collect aprons, as I think I have 12 and never cook or do dishes without one.
- I find ocean “phosphorescence” mesmerizing!
- I’ll choose a room full of 3-6 year olds over adults any day!
- I have a wicked sweet tooth, love stinky cheese and warm bread. Unfortunately, I now need to live gluten, sugar and dairy free. Yet another irony: You’ll see some gluten-free recipes on this website, but I suspect I’ll be starting another site soon
- I love my “rotten lab” (rottweiler lab) mix Cooper – he has a Facebook page too!
- I squeal and clap my hands with excitement when I see wildlife, like harbor porpoise, seal or bear!
- I live in the Catskill Mountains (NY) and love it! In the winter I snowshoe and sit by the wood stove. In the summer I kayak and sip cocktails on my deck.
- I hope to retire-ish in Maine, or at least spend the summers there.
There you go, that’s probably more than want to know about me, but if you have questions, feel free to contact me. I’m also happy to answer party questions on Twitter or Facebook and will do my best to reply personally.