Double your fun with this party craft!
These magic rocks made with coffee ground dough are fun to make at the party and exciting to break open at home…which makes this party craft double the fun!
You may need to double or triple the recipe of the coffee ground dough for large parties.
- 1 cup used coffee grounds
- 1/4 cup sand or cornmeal
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 cup flour or more
- 1 cup water and cold coffee combined
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowl
- Small objects like beads, polished stones or coins.
- Add glitter, food color and sequins (optional)
Before the Party:
- Combine the coffee grounds, flour, salt, sand/corneal and stir.
- Slowly add water and coffee and knead until you have a dough consistency.
- Cover and refrigerate until the party but no more than one day.
- Prepare sequins, glitter and any other supplies by placing them in small cups, egg cartons or muffin tins.
This makes it easier for the kids to share supplies without a huge mess.
- Shape the dough into balls.
- Make a hole in the ball big enough for a treasure.
- Press the “treasure” into the hole, pinching and adding more dough until the treasure is completely covered by dough.
- Send the magic rocks home on the piece of paper to air dry for 2-3 days or bake in the oven on a cookie sheet at 150ºF for about 15-20 minutes.
- Explain to the children that when the magic rocks are dry, they can break them open with a hammer to reveal the hidden treasure inside.
1-2-3 Party Tips:
If you are using the oven-dry method do not use heat sensitive items in the rock. The best objects tend to be glass beads, polished rocks and shells.
You may want to make a stone before the party to test the drying time.
Leave a Reply
Featuring Recent Posts WordPress Widget development by YD