Dress Up Relay Race
A simple relay race becomes a party hit every time!
This relay race game is always a party hit and popular with kids of all ages… even adults think it”s a “hoot”!
Just follow the basic rules of relay race with teams etc. but add the element of dressing up to coordinate with your party theme.
Here’s what you do…. oh and before you begin planning, keep in mind the team relay races work best with children over five years old and with at least six children at the party. You may need to include adults in the race to form even teams…that’s okay.
- Start and Finish markers for each team – cones, baskets, yard stakes, milk crates,chairs or sawhorses.
- An equal amount of dress-up items for each team. The dress-up items you’ll need for this game are dependent on the type of race you are having.
Please see the suggestions below for more details.
- Bags, suitcases or laundry baskets to hold the clothing.
Before the Party:
- Set up the start and finish markers for each team.
- Make sure the race path is clear of debris or any unwanted obstacles.
- Prepare dress-up items by unbuttoning, unzipping and untying where needed.
- Place an equal amount of objects in each teams suitcase or laundry basket.
- Prepare prizes (optional) – larger prizes for the winning team and concession prizes for all of the racers…it’s a party after all so keep it fun for everyone!
- Make sure your camera is ready to go, because you are going to want to take pictures and video. Assign an adult helper to do this job.
- Have a “Plan B” in case you are forced to play your game in a smaller space.
- Divide the players into teams with an even amount of players.
- Line the teams up at their respective starting line.
- Explain the rules and objective…demonstrate if necessary.
- Blow the whistle to start the race.
- The first racer from each team will run to the suitcase or basket of clothes, put the clothes and gear on over their clothes..button, zipper and ties can be ignored.
- Then they will quickly take them back off and return to their teammates to send off the next runner.
- The first team to finish, wins.
- Basic items for this game would be mittens, hat, suit jacket, rain boots, scarf, gloves.
- For a luau, mermaid or pool party using swim trunks, flippers, snorkel and mask.
- At a Princess party the racers have to put on crowns, robes, gloves and high heels.
- Hosting a firefighter party? Try a fireman hat, boots, and coat.
- A Christmas party…a Santa suit of course!
- Cowboy or western party would use a cowboy hat, jacket, chaps and boots or a gun belt.
- Girls dress-up party would need fancy hats, high heeled shoes, white gloves and a loose fitting dress.
- You get the idea right? You can make this game match a Disco theme, Hollywood, Hippie, Sock Hop, Halloween and so much more.
Leave a Reply
Featuring Recent Posts WordPress Widget development by YD