Pin The Tail On The Donkey
How to play the traditional birthday party game kids love!
Spin once, twice and three times…can you Pin the Tail on the Donkey?
This classic party game favorite can be adapted to virtually any kids’ party theme with poster board, markers and imagination. For instance how about pinning a ruby on a crown, a patch on a pirate, or a tail on a puppy. And if drawing intimidates you, find a friend to make your game for you.
The object of the game is to be the player that “pins” or tapes a paper tail to a picture of a tail-less donkey. It sounds easy enough, but not when the players are blind-folded and dizzy! You can purchase a variety of pre-made Pin the Tail on the Donkey games but often you want the game to coordinate with your party theme which means you will make your own. The supplies you’ll need will vary but the basic instructions and rules of the game are proved below.
- Poster board
- Picture for tracing(optional)
- Sticky-backed craft foam (optional playing pieces)
- Construction paper (optional for playing pieces)
- Double sided tape (optional for playing pieces)
- Scarf for a blindfold
- Prize for the winner…small prizes for other players
Before the Party:
- Make your game board using your party theme for inspiration. Remember to leave something out of the drawing that the players will “pin” on the game board. See suggestions below.
- Use sticky-backed craft foam or construction paper to make game pieces to replace what is missing from the game board. If you are using construction paper, you’ll add the double sided tape to the piece when it’s time to play the game.
- Write each child’s name on the game pieces.
- Secure the game board on a wall or door.
- Explain the rules of the game.
- Hand the first player their playing piece and carefully tie the blindfold around their eyes. The blindfold should not be so tight as to prevent them from seeing their own feet.
- Gently spin the player 2-3 times and point them in the direction of the game board.
- The player will attempt to attach the game piece on the appropriate location.The first place their hand goes, is where the piece should be attached. In other words, players should not be allowed to feel around the wall or game board.
- Repeat this with each player.
- The player with the closest game piece…wins the game.
1-2-3 Party Game Suggestions:
Try these ideas to match this game to your particular party theme…
- Pin the Kiss (lips) on the Frog
- Pin the Crown on The Princess or Gem on the Crown
- Pin the flag on the Castle Tower
- Pin the “X” on the Treasure Map
- Pin the “S” on the Superhero Cape
- Pin the Cherry on the Ice Cream Sundae — YUM!
- Pin the “O” on the word HOLLYWOOD
- Pin the Flag on the Moon
- Pin the Alien on the Space Ship
- Pin the Handle on the Hammer
- Pin the Ladybug on the Flower
As you can see the possibilities are endless. If you are stumped and need help to match this game to your theme…contact me and I’ll gladly help out.
Leave a Reply